Awe, Deez Eez Not Zo Bad...
Talofa...How is everybody?...Well, I want to get started right now...So, let's do this...Oh, before I begin, the pictures in this blog entry are of my new classroom in the brand spankin' new building at the home of the Mighty Warriors...Isn't it marvelous?!...It's a teacher's dream...Er, more like a Samoan teacher's dream...I never thought I'd ever be teaching on this island in a room like this...Ey, more on the pristine classroom later...
Anywho, last time I wrote on my blog about how difficult it was and is to be back in American Samoa...Today, I'm gonna go all glass is half-full on your cabooses...
The following is a list of the moments I've had since returning to the island where I've actually thought in my brain "awe, this isn't so bad"...
5. The New Classroom = As you can see, the new classroom is absolutely wonderful...Sure, it's not as modern or sleek as a school in the states (ahem, Muskego High!), but it's a world's apart from my old classroom...Look at those excellent ceiling fans!...Look at that brilliantly tiled floor!...And that amazing desk!...And did I mention the thing all teachers adore the most?...Gaze at and admire that storage room!...No, it's not a magical chamber for dwarves...It's where I can keep all my books and portfolios and supplies...And it's what brings me happiness...Yup, I'm such a nerdy high school English teacher...

4. Future Adventures with Friends = I haven't even got in touch with my palagi friends on island, but the Samoan ones are already planning some cool trips around the island...John and I will be going snorkeling and hiking (uh, oh...another possible brush with death while mountain climbing?!), and Gene, a student of mine who has literally become like family to me, is planning a trip to a small nearby island...I'm really looking forward to these adventerous, once-in-a-lifetime excursions...
...(That's the lovely bathroom right by my room...It doesn't smell the greatest...Have I ever told y'all about the toilet paper lady?...Well, she's in charge of the T.P. and gives you a roll to use that you must bring back when you're done...She gets paid to spare a square...This is when you know you're in a poverty stricken area of the world)...

4. Future Adventures with Friends = I haven't even got in touch with my palagi friends on island, but the Samoan ones are already planning some cool trips around the island...John and I will be going snorkeling and hiking (uh, oh...another possible brush with death while mountain climbing?!), and Gene, a student of mine who has literally become like family to me, is planning a trip to a small nearby island...I'm really looking forward to these adventerous, once-in-a-lifetime excursions...
...(That's the lovely bathroom right by my room...It doesn't smell the greatest...Have I ever told y'all about the toilet paper lady?...Well, she's in charge of the T.P. and gives you a roll to use that you must bring back when you're done...She gets paid to spare a square...This is when you know you're in a poverty stricken area of the world)...3. The Disappearance of She-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named = Like the death of Voldemort (don't even think about ruining the ending...I haven't finished it yet!), there's a little bit less negativity in my experiences on the island so far...Now, I'm not going to sit here and blame my pessimism from last year on She-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named...But I will admit that without having her I find myself complaining less...In fact, I haven't really been cranky or irritable at all...I'm not quite sure if that's because I just don't have anyone to vent to anymore or if that's because I truly don't become frusterated or angry with the island anymore...I kinda believe it's the latter...My compassionate, patient, and tolerant attitude definetly shines more with She-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named gone...

...(These last few images truly present the ghettoness of this island...The trash and the ugly buildings create an island that resembles a military base that's been converted into a 7/11 of the South Pacific)...

...(These last few images truly present the ghettoness of this island...The trash and the ugly buildings create an island that resembles a military base that's been converted into a 7/11 of the South Pacific)...2. The Aiga Bus Ride to the Post Office = Okay, maybe this was a little strange without She-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named, but it is still one of my most favorite times of the week...I can't wait to show all y'all that decide to come and visit me this beautifully relaxing and humbling experience...Every Saturday morning I take the bus (owned by local families called aigas) to Pago Pago to open my P.O. box...And the 30 minute ride is some of the calmest minutes I'll have all week...Nothing soothes the nerves like waves crashing along the shore line...And a little Samoan baby touching your shoulder...
1. The Night I Returned to the Island = Y'all read my last Debbie Downer blog entry where I expressed my depressing, regretful emotions on coming back to Amerika Samoa...But those weren't the only feelings I had...When I walked out of the busy, hot, and dismal airport luggage area and saw my students waiting there for me I felt incredibly content, hopeful, and comforted...Sammy, Holy, and Gene came back to the house with me and helped me unpack and aided me in wiping the cobwebs away...I don't know how I would've reacted to arriving to that house alone and in the dark...I probably would've cried myself to sleep...These kids kept me company and were truly there for me when I needed someone...They kept me from leaving this island...I know many of you might hate them for that...But I'm awfully grateful for their presence...Gene has since practically moved in...He's like my brotha from anotha motha ;-)
1. The Night I Returned to the Island = Y'all read my last Debbie Downer blog entry where I expressed my depressing, regretful emotions on coming back to Amerika Samoa...But those weren't the only feelings I had...When I walked out of the busy, hot, and dismal airport luggage area and saw my students waiting there for me I felt incredibly content, hopeful, and comforted...Sammy, Holy, and Gene came back to the house with me and helped me unpack and aided me in wiping the cobwebs away...I don't know how I would've reacted to arriving to that house alone and in the dark...I probably would've cried myself to sleep...These kids kept me company and were truly there for me when I needed someone...They kept me from leaving this island...I know many of you might hate them for that...But I'm awfully grateful for their presence...Gene has since practically moved in...He's like my brotha from anotha motha ;-)Alright...That was way too long...Quickly, the house had electricity when I came back...And I don't have a roommate yet...(That was for all the people who were asking)...
Love ya and miss ya...Much alofas!...
-JOE
(The following dialogue was taken from an episode of Lost during season one)
Locke: I'm a man of faith. Do you really think all of this...is an accident? That we, a group of strangers, survived, many of us with just superficial injuries? Do you think we crashed on this place by coincidence, especially this place? We were brought here for a purpose, for a reason, all of us. Each one of us was brought here for a reason.
Jack: Brought here? And who brought us here, Locke?
Locke: The island. The island brought us here. This is no ordinary place, you've seen that, I know you have. But the island chose you, too, Jack. It's destiny.


2 Comments:
ahh. Now I know who gene is. Thanks. Glad you're feeling better about your transition, even though I still think you should come back ;)
I cannot believe your new classroom...it's stunning! Your adventures sound very exciting...save one for me when i come- or maybe pick your favorite one and we can do it again. Keep me posted on the expected date for Samoan Cinderella cuz i can't wait to book my flight. I am glad your last few days were filled with the glass is half full moments-
Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy- Anne Frank
Choose happiness- love ya
Post a Comment
<< Home