In My Own Little Ocean...
Hi!...How are all my dear, dear blog readers doing today?...Well, that sounds fine, just fine...Tonight's blog entry is a hodge-podge of exciting news and happenings here on island for Samoa Joe...Oh, and there's also a seki Top Five...So, let us launch...On Sunday, I got to finally go snorkeling in American Samoa...It was absolutely beautiful...Yes, I was pretty scared to go at first...We went to the beach near the airport...I guess it's supposed to be a good place for beginning snorkelers...But we went around dusk and the waves and current were actually, in my opinion, kinda strong...And powerful...John took me and Gene and the boys...Anyways, to organize my thoughts I'll first list my fears I had when doing this adventurous activity...(Remember, I've never snorkeled before)...And then I'll list some of the profound feelings I had while swimming in my own little ocean...
I was afraid of:
-the current sweeping me away...When I came to the first drop as I was looking down into that unfathomably bottomless ocean, I realized once I couldn't touch the bottom I was screwed...Especially, if a current sucked me out farther...I imagined my flippers frantically pumping as the cold, dark waters eat me whole...
-the waves pushing me towards the rocky coastline...As I said before, the waves were pretty fervent, and I couldn't help but picture my poor body being smacked against the rocks like a dead fish...And my skull exploding into a million pieces...
-the small, gorgeous tropical fish attacking my fuams...For some odd reason, I had this fear of the vibrantly blue and yellow and wonderfully striped fisheys swarming my twig and berries and biting the heck outta them...Is that weird?...
-the sharp, jagged coral puncturing my skin...The coral at airport beach was livid (it wasn't the coloful kind you see in the travel brochures) which gave it a more threatening appearence...I just kept seeing my hands stabbed by the ancient skeleton of the sea...
-losing John...It sounds nerdy as all get out, but we were darn far out there...And sometimes John would disappear mysteriously...The smokey liquid bubbles would engulf my mask and I'd be surrounded by a cavernously ominous ocean...And I'd peek above the water to see nothing but a wavy surface of salt water...I almost peed my trunks...
-panicking...John kept insisting "whatever happens, don't panic"...Which made me want to panic even more...He said sometimes water could flood your mask or breathing apperatus...And he said most people begin to panic and then they drown and die...Needless to say, I was panicking not to panic...
-becoming one with the ocean...Sounds like a big ball of cheese, I know...But you really do transform yourself and melt into the water...As the silence of the water flowed around me, all I could hear was my own breathing into the snorkel...Breath by breath by breath I floated with the waves and fish, undulating to the tide...
-the magnificence of the ocean...I realize this is old news...I mean, how many writers have described the ocean as magnificent?...Probably millions...And I'm sure that many of you peeps who have snorkeled and scuba dived have experienced this splendor of the ocean...But I suppose I was an under-the-sea virgin...And now I'm addicted to it's whole-new-world vibe...
-my bravery...As you can see from the initial fears I had, I was terrified of what I was about to do...I even got a little sick to my stomach...My heart was pounding...I was inches away from chickening out...The fierce, bloodcurdling waves and the gloomy, menacing wind was freaking the hizzous outta me...I was about to say, "I don't know John...Maybe we should do this on Saturday"...But I swallowed my nightmarish emotions and couragously conquered the South Pacific...And, sole, am I proud of myself...Similar to when I hiked that dangerous, enormous mountain, I ended the thrilling exploit feeling mighty and uplifted...I felt bold and alive...
I had my auditions for the role of Cinderella today, and the outlook ain't good...You see, I'm directing the Tafuna musical Cinderella and I only had three girls try-out for the main character...And all of them had potential but I just couldn't see my Cinderella...Of course, we could just plan on molding one of these girls into a thriple-threat mega-star, but it's going to take a lot of work...The assistant directors and I decided to have one more audition for the part...And we're hoping we'll find our princess then...One of my choeographers mentioned that she might decide to audition...I'm crossing my fingers on her...She would, I think, be glorious...She's a good singer, good dancer, and a good worker...I could depend on her...Well, I'll let y'all know how it goes as the audition process moves on...
5. Black Snake Moan = Christina Ricci as a chained-up, sex-obsessed, crazy Southern girl and Samuel L. Jackson as an electrifying, thunderous, Bible thumping kidnapper/guitar player make this gritty, jawdropping flick unforgettable...
4. Surf's Up = Yup, another CGI animated penguin kiddy show...But this one is so much better than Happy Feet...It's, surprisingly, inspirational and emotional...
3. Knocked Up = Another hilariously smart and perceptive film by the makers of Wedding Crashers and The 40-Year-Old Virgin...I laughed throughout it...And I even got teary eyed at the end...But what's so great about this romantic comedy is how modern, insightful, and observent it is...The movie understands humans...And love...And popping out babies...
2. Transformers = Sure, the whole save the cube, save the world plot line is a tad bit 80's Saturday morning cartoon, but this action-packed, dazzling thrill ride is exploding with hella tight robots...They're every boys dream...Strong, violent, and valient...There's even a wonderfully quiet and charming scene where the robots hide in a suburban backyard...Oh, and did I mention Optimus Prime?...Orgasmic!...
1. Hairspray = A sparkling musical that everyone in the family will adore...The amusing songs are catchy, the fabulous dancing is marvelous, and the zany acting and singing is terrific...From the stunning, smile-inducing opening of "Good Morning Baltimore" to the delightfully energetic closing of "You Can't Stop the Beat" this movie is wonderful...And John Travolta is lovely in drag...
That above picture is of Holy, Sammy's brother...He's a funny kid...Kinda like that annoying lil' bro...Here's a video clip of our trip back home along the coastline after snorkeling...Holy kept asking me to take a picture of him with the splashing waves (or pisisami) behind him...I kept telling him I was taking the picture...When in fact I was filming...Man, I crack myself up...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7vEpvmtONs
Where in the world is Gene?...Here's a clip of one of Gene's play-making runs during Saturday's football game...Y'all should see me at those football games...I turn into such a proud parent when Gene goes out onto that field...
Where in the world is Gene?...Here's a clip of one of Gene's play-making runs during Saturday's football game...Y'all should see me at those football games...I turn into such a proud parent when Gene goes out onto that field...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btepq9Z1NA0
Okay...I gotta go...How about some discussion ideas...Have you ever snorkeled?...Are you afraid of the ocean, too?...Or do you think it's beautiful as I learned?...And what do you think I should do about my lack of a Cinderella?...Should the show still go on?...And did I miss any great movies this year?...What's your Top Five Movies of 2007 so far?...
Okay...I gotta go...How about some discussion ideas...Have you ever snorkeled?...Are you afraid of the ocean, too?...Or do you think it's beautiful as I learned?...And what do you think I should do about my lack of a Cinderella?...Should the show still go on?...And did I miss any great movies this year?...What's your Top Five Movies of 2007 so far?...Love ya and miss ya...
-JOE
"Under the sea, under the sea!
Darlin' it's better down where it's wetter
Take it from me!
Up on the shore they work all day,
Out in the sun they slave away,
While we devoting full time to floating,
Under the sea!"
-from 1988's The Little Mermaid



5 Comments:
I have snorkeled and really liked it but it was not in rough waters. I went scuba diving once...and it was rough waters and they kept telling me once I was under the water I wouldn't feel it (and it's no problem mon) anyways I had a like a serious panic attack and went back to the boat...so I think I am only comfortable doing it in some waters and honestly I don't know how much I really want to see swimming in the same waters that I am...I am an ocean chicken...I think I am slowly getting better over time. Cinderella is the star of the show...maybe one of those girls will end up to be great?? Try a second audition too just to see what happens. If you choreographer decides to be Cinderella who will choreograph? i really want see your #1 movie and knocked up- i have heard great things about them...of course you know i love Hairspray- i felt like dancing, singing, and hanging out in a detention room for days afterwards. Your day of adventure looks like it was fun- i am so happy you could experience the snorkeling and the sense of bravery and accomplishment :)
I am definitely afraid of the Ocean mainly because I am claustrophobic and a horrible swimmer. I would def get sucked out by the current, bust into the worst panic attack followed by getting pulled under and feeling trapped! I am very proud that you did it, but I am completely content with doing lake snorkeling in Upper Wisconsin!
I think you should hold additional auditions and if nothing comes of it, you at least tried before just choosing one. Good luck with that.
I have not seen any of your top 5 movies but do want to see them all. My new boy interest and I are going to beef-up our movie watching skills. He has many movies he wants me to see, and well I agreed. What is better than being lazy and curling up on the couch once in a while in great company?
Take care!
Hi, would the snorkling conditions be as good first thing in the morning?... it would also the coast guard a whole lot of daylight in which to look for you in case you got swept out to sea. As for Cinderella why dont give it a truely Samoan flavour by opening up the auditions for the lead to Fafafines?
Keep up the good work!
i absolutely love snorkeling. i had to chuckle a little bit at your exaggerated fears of almost everything about it and the ocean :) it's funny how it all goes away though when you're under that water...it really is a different world. my only problem with the ocean is that it's all salty. yuck. i'll take freshwater any day...but i guess that's just the good wisconsin girl in me :)
as far as cinderella...wait for your second audition and if you don't feel a spark, choose the best and trust in her. you'd be surprised what changes an actor will go through once they actually have a part and can own the stage. nerves from competition of auditions will go away and talent will shine.
last but not least, i have to say that transformers is absolutely hands down #1. childhood at its best!!! and knocked up is #2. the way that movie captured reality...in such a hilarious way...brilliant! :)
sorry i've been slacking on commenting...busy times!!! i promise i'll be better :) miss ya!!!
so i was doing the snorkelling thing too. my first trip out we went out in a boat with the crazy jamaicans and we just jumped right into the debths of the ocean. colleen had a minor freak out at first, thought she might bail, but she made it through. i was very proud of her, as she really only learned how to swim in college. the water was deep, the masks would fill up with salty horrible water and without the comforting feeling of wearing a life jacket its pretty strange. but its also amazing how well you just float in the salt water. i totally felt what you were feeling with the silence of the underwater and listening to your own breath in the snorkel is just magical. as well as coming up and not seeing any people and freaking out for a second. we went really far from the boat and it started to get nerve wracking, but it was amazing. later i snorkeled a lot on the beach and actually found that to be a lot scarier. just right on the beach we saw stingray and eels and jellyfish and octapus, and without the deep waters to be able to swim away you're pretty much stuck with inches between you. rather an exzilierating experience. crap. im late. gotta go. love you.
Post a Comment
<< Home