Saturday, November 10, 2007

Me Lucky Charms...

Apparently, that's me...Some evil commenter said my female impersonation (the sexy Josephina Nemina) looked like "Ruth Buzzi from the 60's Laugh-In show"...Being born in the 80's, I had to google this chick...And once I saw this image of her I burst out laughing...Ya know, as cruel as that commenter was (because Ruth Buzzi, I discovered, isn't the prettiest woman), they were also dead on...I mean, I kinda did resemble Ruth Buzzi...Review the last post and see for yourself...

Anyways, today's entry should be short...It'll just be some brief thoughts on my week, a topic to discuss, and a list of obsessions...Lets do this...



Pictures for this blog entry were all taken last summer...I still haven't got my new camera yet...So, that's one reason why I'm postin' old pics...But I also think it's time to remember the friends and family back in Wisconsin that I love so much...The summer of 2007 was one of the best I've ever had...I didn't have to work...And playin' all day and night with mah peeps was hella tight...I felt very lucky to have such a wonderfully relaxing and enjoyable summer...These images I've chosen are of some of my favorite moments...

Cinderella Update:
Today we had a showcase of the musical to the administration...Man, we worked incredibly hard to get this showcase lookin' good...Everyday for the past two weeks we've been practicing the songs and dances until about 6:00 after school...That's about four hours everyday!...It's been extremely tiring and stressful, but the kids are amazing...And I am really proud of them...The showcase went alright...Some mistakes and technical difficulties but we'll get those smoothed out...The adminstration was very impressed, and they've decided to give us a lot of aid...And when I say "aid" I mean "money"...So, yay!...Now, we just gotta worry about scenery and props and microphone head-sets...Once we have those items, we'll be able to produce a spectacular production...Don't worry, I'll keep y'all updated...I apologize to everyone if I've seemed distant...I know I haven't wrote back on many emails and/or went to church...I think this next month is going to be a hectic, crazy, busy-as-all-get-out tornado of organized chaos...And my mind will be focused on this production 100%...After this thing is over, I'll devote 100% of myself to you guys ;-)



Discussion Topic:
Okay, this is probably a totally elementary matter to debate, but it's still something I've been thinking about...You see, there's a church near my house that hosts BINGO nights about three times a week, and these BINGO nights are unbelievably popular...Hundreds of Samoans go to them to win big, big cash prizes...My student's dad just won $2,000...It's like a mini-Potawatomi...A tiny Las Vegas...It's hugely popular...Well, sort of...Many Samoans are completely against this gambling...And, I suppose, I am, as well...There is, of course, two sides to churches participating in gambling activities...One side says that it's acceptable because the money raised goes to the church to further spread their gospel...The other side says that it inspires people to gamble their money and causes them to become addicted...I am usually not one of those cats who say that casinos and playin' the lottery and sportin' some BINGO is a bad thing...But I do feel that gambling should not be a part of a church...In my humble opinion, the church should be a place of positive inspiration...A place where people can go to learn and practice healthy, moral lifestyles...Not a place that gives people the opportunity to gamble their money and, essentially, their lives away...I mean, that money those people are using to greedily play a game of chance could be going to their familes...Hell, it could even be going to charity...Or the church...I've also had a personal experience with a family member who was addicted to gambling...It swallowed his life and personality whole...And he eventually turned to drugs to fill that hole gambling created...As you can tell, I'm not a fan of gambling...Besides, this church on island should know that most Samoan families cannot afford to be gambling their incomes...The already poor families should not be using their money irresponsibly...I suppose the BINGO money raised is going to assist the community in the long run...Also, this island needs some entertainment...There's nothing fun to do on this island...No arcades or clubs or malls or roller skating rinks or restaurants or strip joints...There's practically not even bars on this god forsaken rock...Thus, what harm could a lil' BINGO be?...Afterall, we've all played BINGO since we were five years old...It's just a game, right?...A game that funds church activities and programs...Or is it much more than that?...




...(By the way, some of you get confused by the format of my lists...My top obsession is my #1...Not my #5...Same thing goes whenever I list my favorites...So, get it straight people!)...
Top Five Obsessions of the Week:
5. My So-Called Life DVD Set = My quintessential television show is finally on DVD!...It's taken like 10 years but the wait is over...All the episodes of this short-lived yet profoundly honest and heartrending drama is ready for us all to enjoy over and over again...All I've got to do is save up some money to buy it...But once I do, I'll be the happiest boy ever...
4. Esmee Denters = I discovered this fantastic singer on the Oprah channel on YouTube...Yup, I can, at last, watch Oprah on this island...Er, I can, at least, watch what Oprah watches on YouTube...Although it's a touchy internet controversy that Oprah has now taken over "the people's" broadcasting network, she does present some awesome talent that can be found on YouTube...Esmee Denters is one of them...Paul Potts is another...Wow, these are what you call beautiful singers...
3. The New Neighbor on Desperate Housewives = First of all, I'm lovin' the fourth season...(Can you believe we've been watchin' this soap for four years?!)...The gay couple arrival has been hilarious and all of the storylines have been devilshly enjoyable...But the most wickedly dazzling addition has been Katherine Mayfair played brilliantly by Dana Delany...Not only has she been a villainous foil to Bree and Lynette, her mystery involving her daughter has been fascinatingly juicy...It's even been emotional...Keeping a secret has never been so tragic...
2. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls = I finished reading this book that Shawn gave me a few weeks ago but I can't stop thinkin' about it...This remarkable memoir tells the heartbreaking, rousing story of a young girl and her siblings and their struggle to survive their strange, noxious, irresponsible parents...I'm almost a little jealous of what Walls has written...Her memories are intensly intricate and detailed and real...The picture she paints with words is unforgettable...Vivid, poignant, and frank...
1. "A Little Priest" from Sweeney Todd = I've been doing some research on the Broadway musical Sweeney Todd because the film version is coming out this Christmas...The dark, murderous musical about a demon barber who exacts revenge by slicing the throats of his customers stars Johnny Depp and is directed by Tim Burton...Even though the trailer isn't that promising (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui1WAZgwkxY), I've truly discovered a musical gem...The song "A Little Priest" is sung when Sweeney and Mrs. Lovett plan to bake their killed customers into meat pies and sell them to the public...It's bloody wrong...And chillingly funny...I mean, who wouldn't love to eat some priest?...Just a little priest...Watch this clip with Angela Lansbury and notice the mastery and virtuosity of this genius show tune...




The reason why I called this blog entry "Me Lucky Charms" is because I've been feeling very lucky lately...Not because I've been playin' BINGO but because of the experience I'm having here...I mean, I am so blessed to be experiencing all of this...Working with the students here on island to create a high school musical has been wonderfully rewarding...I am utterly happy when I'm directing those kids and watching them perform artistically...And the boys, especially Sammy, Gene, and Holy, have become my make-shift family here...And what I've learned about family and brotherhood I could not have been taught anywhere else...Or in any other situation...I sometimes lose sleep over worrying about those boys, but I care deeply for them...And they have shown me love, too...Oh, and having three of my friends, Shawn, Kristy, and Cris, come and visit me and plan trips to see me is pleasantly special to me...The overall power of this overseas, away-from-home experience cannot be expressed with words...My heart does not know such language...I am such a lucky palagi and I am so damn grateful...Life is pretty darn charmed right now...








Question time...How do you think the musical is gonna go?...Didn't you think last summer was a blast?...What is your opinion on church BINGO?...Have you been lovin' Desperate Housewives as much as me?...Did you not think "A Little Priest" from Sweeney Todd was killer?...And will this happiness I'm feelin' last?...And do you think I went overboard with the amount of pics I put in this entry?...



Love ya and miss ya...
-JOE
"When you marooned me on that god forsaken spit of land, you forgot one very important thing, mate: I'm Captain Jack Sparrow."
-from 2003's Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm...perhaps they could just offer a huge bingo night once or twice a year...it’s kind of like the church festivals here that are held at the Catholic churches- all huge successes but filled with drinking and gambling but yeah...brings a lot of money into the church- but since it’s once a year it doesn't seem as bad. There are a few Catholic churches in the area that hold poker in the basement with alcohol and smoking (cigarette smoking in a church...what the???) I think that it’s crazy- gambling should not be a regular church function- in my personal opinion. There are many other things they could do as a group to bring entertainment/fun/fellowship to the community.

Last summer was fun but I didn't see you as much as I would have liked- w/ Mexico and such 

I am enjoying the gay neighbors on DH but I am not so much enjoying the other neighbor what the heck is her secret??? It is too much like the other neighbors who moved in with the dungeon in their basement.

I can't wait to read the glass castle on my way home from AS- I have heard great things about it.

I am so glad this last year has been such a blessing to your life- it is exciting when you have the opportunity to see things and feel things in a new perspective :)

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would prefer Churches did not run bingo nights because as you say many families can't afford it. Many of these families will have already tithed to their church and/or minister. I hope that the extent of gambling in Am. Samoa remains at bingo.....the misery gambling can cause will increase 100 fold if pokie machines ever get legalised there.

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Joey, I guess it's time to confess again..it was me that said you looked like ruth busey...she looked even worse on Laugh-IN! but anyway stick with your day-job.

I love your family pictures. You guys are such a handsomely goodlooking bunch. and you all look soooo happy which is the best thing.

Yay I finally get one of your obsessions...I read Glass Castle the memoir...(memoirs by female authors are my favorite).
It's a very good book have you read the the Liar's Club? it's also a memoir by a female author.

Glad to hear your play's coming along...I know it will be spectacular!

I don't know why Bingo is such an ingrained Catholic thing...But a little Bingo never hurt anybody that's what my Mom used to say...God rest her soul.

Nellie

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess that is a good point- i have never heard of anyone addicted to BINGO :)

2:35 PM  
Blogger Suzie A said...

last summer was good. but definitely not like unbelievable or anything to me. i think yours was, just because you got to be back and vacation the whole dang time. whereas working wasnt as delightful... but for me jamaica was my most happiest time and i dont think anything will stand up to that.
it makes me so sad that i cant go with shawn to see you. you do know that right??? but i just cant fathum getting a loan to go out there, when YOU say "its not that great - and def not a place to go on a vacation" and you're moving back here in 7 months!!! well, that is if you get to move back in june. hopefully you wont stay the summer! so im counting down and hoping that it is less then 7 months!!! but i think i should not take out a loan and save my money so that we can go on our own adventure!
my mom saw me reading your blog before. and she was like - who is that? and i said ruth busey. and she went on and on about how she loves her. so now i think my mom looks like ruth busey ;)
kz is definitely addicted to bingo ;)

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello gen Joe,

C'est moi again. Always causing trouble! hehe I did know whether to comment on your blogs anymore, since I have been attacked! LoL Jk i like it when people attack me, it means I'm doing something good. I'm provoking thought. That is what matters to me.

Now, about BINGO. Let me start by saying, I do not recommend gambling for anyone. However, if you are going to do it, I have a few pointers you should consider before getting yourself into gambling. One, budget gambling as an entertainment expense. Second, give yourself a limit or cap of how much you are willing to LOSE. Key word is LOSE. I can't stress it more: LOSE, LOSE, LOSE. Think of it this way; if you want to go to a movie, you invest about $10. One does not go to a movie expecting to watch the movie come back out with the $10. One invests the money in the entertainment. So, when gambling, you are investing your money on putting enjoying and relaxing your mind on a slot machine, card game, or BINGO. Third, do not go gambling as a source of daily, weekly, or monthly income. One should work and only working will get you income! Finally, do not, I repeat, DO NOT gamble to get rich. One has more chances of getting struck by lightning. If you do not follow my advice, you will become addicted and end up homeless. I guarantee you that or your money back! Oops, forget the latter part of that sentence.

Okay, my view on the church and bingo. Well, religion is very personal and is reliant solely on prospective of each church and individual. Many churches believe so many things I cannot keep up with them anymore. Everyone starts a church with the intention of changing a small little rule of which they did not agree while attending their former church. Anglican, Lutheran, Methodist, and the list goes on. Churches are, in general, the same. But culture, tradition, society all are factors in what a church believes and play an active role in determining how a church will run (Trust me, my parents are retired ministers.). Then one has the individual church which does things differently. How the congregation should sing, sit, and engage in after church activities. Again, all churches are different. In that light, if a church in A.S. wants to do BINGO. What can I say? They have open marriages, they vanish teenage women who are pregnant, they throw rocks at each other for fun. Frankly, I am not surprised. It is another culture people! Joe, you more than anyone should know better than to compare A.S. to the U.S. culture. Even in the the US, many different people practice many different things. I would like to observe how the BINGO is executed at the church. :) When I go, I expect to beat all those Samoans out of their money!! WOOT WOOT, go BINGO!

About your family and pics. I LOVE THEM! You guys all are soo cute and having fun. I must say, it shows what a nice family it is. I have experienced only a fraction of the family and I'm overwhelmed with joy. I look forward to meeting more pieces of the family.

May you continue to have an awesome life Joe, most are always looking for happiness and trying to complete their souls, hearts or whatever they call it. But you my dear friend, you have it. You actually have accomplished what many die not obtaining it. I suggest you take care of it and enjoy it all you can. Suck out all the joyous juice life has blessed us with.

Ciao Bello,

Presque Parfait

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

http://sconi-suzie.blogspot.com/