Saturday, January 19, 2008

Centennial Hat...

Happy 100th Anniversary!...Yup, it's my 100th blog entry...Can you believe it?!...I don't know, it kinda seems like it should be more than that...I mean, it seems like I've written at least a thousand of these things...But I suppose that's because my entries are so fricken long...I swear, I write flippin' dissertations on this island journal...Anyways, I'll try to make this entry short...And sweet...

Once again, all of the pictures shown were taken on my trip to Hawaii...I actually mixed the images a little...So, you're actually looking at the final parts of me and Kristy's vacation...The middle part photos will be posted in the next blog entry...

The image above was taken at the Society of Seven show...I swear, I felt like I was on some Senior Citizen cruise ship cabaret or something...The singing and dancing in the show was actually pretty good...Cheesy...But good...




Those are pictures of the Dole Plaintation...Kristy kept telling me that there was a big difference with Hawaiian pineapples...That they were sweeter and better...Hell, I couldn't really taste a difference...Tasted like Pick 'n' Save to me...

Does that look like Hawaii to you?...Or South Dakota?...I say South Dakota...I can almost see Mount Rushmore in the background...


Recognize that building in the pics above?...Supposedly, that old house was used for the cafe in the movie 50 First Dates...I couldn't see it...I'm guessing it got a little run-down in the past few years...I remember that cafe in the film being quaint and beautiful and charming...This place just looked creepy...Kristy and I were spooked by some of the noises that were comin' out of it...They also say that some of Jurasic Park was filmed here...I didn't see no velociraptors...The magic of Hollywood is extraordinary...




Soccer Drama:
Okay, so I have a problem...Well, not quite anymore...It's somewhat been solved...You see, I was suddenly asked on Tuesday to be the assistant coach for the girls JV and Varsity soccer teams...Now, that would've been fine, but their first game was on Tuesday...The day I was asked to assist in coaching!...I agreed to help Naiomi (the head coach and the woman I worked with last year coaching) only because I figured I would just be helping with physical stuff and maybe paper work or supervision...Well, little did I know that I'd actually be head coaching...The JV and Varsity played games at the same time...Hence, Naiomi went over with the JV and she sent me with Varsity to coach their game...I was kinda pissed off (I didn't agree to head coach!), but I accepted the challenge and went with the Varsity girls...Well, lets just say that the girls were horribly ill-prepared...I later heard that Naiomi put the team together the day before...On Monday!...Half of the Varsity girls didn't have shin guards (which are required) and none of them had uniforms with numbers (which is required)...Luckily, the refs let us play with no uniforms...And they allowed the girls to use their flip-flops as shin protection...The game began, and then the shiznit really hit the fan...Let me just say that they didn't do so hot...They lost like 7 to 0...And there I was, on the sidelines, being looked at as the head coach to these Bad News Bears...It was humiliating...The girls didn't even know how to throw-in...The refs, the other team, and the audience were all like "Neman, what kinda coaching are you doing?!"...That's when I started to get really embarrassed and angry...I didn't even know any of the girls' names, let alone their positions and how they play...I thought it was a completely unfair situation for both the girls and myself...I left the soccer field that night feeling disgraced and fuming...Especially after Naiomi told me that the next game would be the next day...I was like "Aw, hell no...I am not putting myself through this suckiness again"...I hate taking control over something when it's half-way done, ya know?...I mean, I'm willing to be a leader and manage the soccer team...But I didn't go to any of the practices (because I wasn't a coach yet) and I didn't get to know the girls...Heck, the girls didn't get to know me either...I just despise taking over stuff other people have started...Particularly when it's already been done half-ass...Now, I've gotta pick up all the pieces and start from scratch...Which would've been fine if we had some time before the first game...But we have no time...So, I began to plan my refusal to coach to Naiomi...I talked to one of the boys about it and he said "But Neman, what if you can make the difference?...The girls need you!"...And then I felt all guilty inside...Man, that lil' flicker of shame stinks like hairy butt...I couldn't give up on these girls...No matter how horrific they played...I came to school the next day with the notion of taking the Varsity head coach position...But then, I guess, Naiomi got the boys head coach to coach the team...Technically, I was happy about that...I simply just didn't wanna try to fix that team...Although, it sounds like the new head coach doesn't want the responsibility either...I suppose I could've offered but yeah...I didn't want to...As of right now, I'm the assistant coach for the Junior Varsity girls team...Did I do the right thing?...Or did I fail the girls?...Or was it so not my fault?...Give me your advice!...



Here are some video clips of our trip...
Our crazy New Years Eve on the streets of Waikiki:
The Tahitian dance at the PCC Horizon Show:
Sailing at Waikiki:
Samoan Fire Knife Show:




That horse I'm riding was the best horse I have ever had while horseback riding...He was so mellow and well-behaved...He almost never tried to go off the trail or bite for grass...Well, I was jinxed in the end...He bucked me off and I literally fell off my horse...That was the first time I've ever been kicked off a horse...It wasn't his fault though...The horse behind mine kept gettin' all up in my horsey's grill and my horse got mad...Or scared...Anyways, I'm alright...I just brushed off my shoulders and got back on the horse for this lovely picture above...

Kristy's horse is, er, um, well-hung...

Hat Drama:
Alright, the other problem I had this week was something that seems small to outsiders but really hurt me...Do y'all remember that green hat I bought in the Samoan section of the Polynesian Culture Center?...That farmer-lookin' hat?...Ya know, the one I was hella excited to wear?...Hmm, it's gone already...I wore it to school twice and on the second day it was stolen...By a student of mine...I was devastated!...And awfully depressed after it happened...All day at school I was guarding that hat with my life...I wouldn't let any of the kids touch it, even though they all wanted to cause it was such a "cool hat"...I guarded it like a hawk the entire day...And then at the end of the day some lil' brat took it...Sure, y'all might be thinking I'm being sarcastic or overexagerating...Afterall, it was just a ten dollar hat made from palm tree leaves...But it means so much more than that...It just wasn't this fashionable material item...It was more than just a hat to block the blazing sun on my two mile walks to school everyday...It was sentimental...For several reasons...Here are a couple...
1. I bought the hat on my trip to Hawaii...It was kinda a nice reminder of my vacation with Kristy and the memories we shared...
2. More importantly, it represented my pride for the Samoan culture...I was so happy to wear that hat and say that I was from Samoa...And I was incredibly proud to wear it...To show off my Samoan colors...And to present to the world my experience and connection with American Samoa...The hat was a symbol of my experiences here on the island and my love for those experiences...And my adoration for the culture...
Therefore, I was grief-stricken when one of the kids stole it...I honestly was tearing up on my walk home...And I cried like a baby when I walked in the house...I mean, I do everything for these kids...I have devoted my life entirely for them...I have left my family and home to teach them and help them...I love them more than they will probably ever understand, and here they are taking stuff from me...Even worse, stealing things that represent my appreciation of their culture...The next day I had a hard time looking at any of the students...I felt like they all didn't appreciate me...Even though it was just one student who did it...One egg spoils the bunch, right?...I did discover who took it...And she said that she gave it away...She said "sorry"...And that she'll try to get the hat back...But I told her it wasn't about the hat...And I told her "sorry" wouldn't make me feel all better...The act was more powerful...Her inconsideration for me was what hurt me...If I was to put myself in her shoes, I would probably realize that she didn't comprehend how important that hat was to me...And I also think it's the culture's fault...It seems to me that taking things without asking is totally accepted here...The item is seen as community property or something...Especially when it is an item owned by a palagi...Of course, all palagis are rich and can afford new hats!...Anywho, I suppose I'm over it now...What do you guys think?...Did I overreact?...Should I have been so mad at the girl?...Should I lose faith in all my students?...Do they realize what I do for them?...Or am I just a poor schmuck who gets things stolen from him?...



Those hula dancers above were shakin' their tail feathers at a mall in Waikiki...I swear that hot guy was lookin' straight into my eyes as he danced...He so wanted me ;-)





We went on a nice sailboat in the Waikiki harbor on one of our last days...The Mai Tais on this boat were excellently strong...I was drunk after one and a half of them...And I was feelin' a tad bit woozy...There were some moments I thought I was gonna puke all over the place...But it was still a relaxing, gorgeous trip out in the ocean...

Yup, that picture is for reals...Including the sexy surfer...

This was the bartender and some girls that Kristy befriended...Kristy kinda reminds me of Chad...She'll talk to anybody and everybody and their mothers...I hate making small talk...So, I hardly talk to people...Call me Mr. Anti-social...




Best restaurant on the island of Oahu...Their spicy fries are orgasmic...And their burgers are to die for!...Seriously!...



Ewww...I hate birds!...Can you tell from this pic?...

I gotta go now...Thanks for reading...All you peeps out there who have been reading since the first blog, leave a message and let me know...After 100 blog entries, how have I changed?...What do you think about my experiences here on the island?...Does it feel like you've read 100 of these entries?...And what about this soccer and hat drama?...Am I way too over-emotional here?...Or are my feelings legit?...
Thanks again for reading...It's been 100 blog entries, and y'all have stuck with me...I hope you stay with me until the end!...Love ya and miss ya...
-JOE
"Aloha, suckers."
-from Hawaii Five-0

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,
Dude, so sorry to hear bout your hat drama but that is how it is in Samoa, there is just someone out there most of the time who is disrespectful and just ignorant. Its not cultural; I am Samoan and if it has happened to me here in the states all the time. Its just human nature. You get goods ones, and then there is one or two bad apples that spoil the whole bunch. I am saddened though that those litte pukios did that too you. True, they don't realize what you've done for them. They don't realize what that hat meant to you, and "NO" - we don't all think all palagis are rich and can afford everything either. You just had a bad incident happen and it was unfortunate, but it is bound to happen. Wish you had more privacy and that you could trust those kids but it just aint so.
About your incident with the Naomi girl, well she is ignorant. I can just see that type of thing happening in Samoa or Samoan communities everywhere. They wait until the last minute to get things done. She was totally wrong to put you through that and she is an "ae-tae" so to speak. I would have fasi'd here myself and then fuki-slapped her ass for not taking care of the girls and the coaching assignment the first time around. That type of thing happens in Polynesian communities all the time, people totally being inconsiderate of others but then again, those are the bad ones that make all the good ones look bad. Because everything you do is in a small island, everything is scrutinized and under watch because the island is so small and everything that happens is very profound. I know that there are those kids who love and appreciate you and then there are those who don't give a rats bum. Anyhow, you are the man, and did a good job handling it. See the guy who it was put on didn't like the situation either.

I think that you've come a very long way from your very start there. You now know the good and the bad, and you understand from various perspectives what its like to live there. How those people live and what the differences are cultural and societal. Its just so far from what you know in Wisconscin? Anyhow, you've done an awesome job there, truly!! Hope that as your days there become numbered, that they get better and that the bad things don't outweigh your positive experiences there that you've had.

Did you ever get a good video from anyone who filmed your Cinderalla musical there so we could watch some of it on Youtube perhaps?

Fa'afetai lava Joe for sharing your experiences there with us here on the WWW. Its been fun reading and watching you go through your growth down there.

Malo lava Joe,

Internet fan from Las Vegas.

1:35 AM  
Blogger Suzie A said...

you've got a lot of internet fans. your pretty much famous. i was just catching up on your last two blogs. im reading kite runner now. grandma lou read that one, and the other one from the same guy and gave them to me to read. so thats fun. i didnt get any chance to read any more this weekend though with the wedding show..

i watched your utube video from new years. you two are wild! and nerds! ;) and apparently watching a lot of porn !

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow-100 times I have sat down at my computer and eagerly read your blogs...it actually seems like more than that...so many adventures :)
The girls team...nice of you to step up- and now that you don't have to be head coach you can put your efforts in being an organized and motivating assitant coach.
You fell off a horse and never told me?? ha ha oh i wish i could have been there- i am glad you were o.k.
BTW I hate small talk too- wonder why we are so anti social?
While i love reading your blogs (and especially how much you have grown to embrace AS since the begining entries) i am excited to hear of all of your daily life adventures straight from your palagi mouth, on my couch, in my living room, in wisconsin when you come home :) -love you

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,I can finally comment on your blogs!!!! 100 blogs later:)What was up with you and Kristi partying with all the old people? I think that is so sad about your hat, I almost cried:)You do do so much for them and you care about them so much and then something like that happens! I hope you told her how you felt. I agree with the first comment about thats just life and people stealing from each other is going to be everywhere but I also think that it seems like you have gotten a few things stolen from you while you were there.And its not like they are just some bad kids stealing, they are kids that you really care about and that you help them out even if you really can't. Well I'm glad you had fun for New years. I think that was our 1st new years not togather:( I miss you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY 100th!! Even though I haven't been commenting lately, I have read every one!! I would have been fuming about the coaching thing too. I hate small talk too, wonder where I get it from? I'm sorry to hear about your hat too, you must have been soo sad and disappointed, I'm sure she didn't even think about what that hat might have meant to you. Love the gorgeous pictures!! Love you and miss you!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Suzie A said...

um. its been like 10 days since your last post. i thought i was way behind on checking on your blog. and you havent even made a post! what a slacker. oh well.. i know your computer is down and broken right now. so im guessing itll be another week or so before you get back on here..

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

http://sconi-suzie.blogspot.com/