Giddy Up!...
Hey, everybody...Happy April Fool's Day!...Well, I've been pretty happy lately...I'll tell ya all about it in today's exciting, yet hopefully short, blog entry...Lights...Camera...Action!...So, we had our annual Speech Festival on Friday here in American Samoa...This event, where students from all the island high schools perform and compete in categories like Original Speech, Humorous Play, Dramatic Play, Oral Interpretation of Poetry and so on, was cancelled last year due to Flag Day...This was my first year being involved with the Speech Festival, and I absolutely loved it...I mean, it was extraordinary how interested and inspired I became with this event...First of all, representing Tafuna High School, I was responsible for three categories...You see, each English teacher at Tafuna High School was responsible for a different category...Each teacher will choose the piece to perform for their category, cast the students to perform the piece, and direct the students in how to perform it...In other words, each teacher creates and directs a skit or play or performance that will be presented at the Speech Festival...Not only does each category get a trophy, but all of the high schools are also competing for an overall award...Anyways, I was given the task of managing the Humorous Play, Dual Acting, and Oral Interpretation of Drama...Well, guess what?!...You won't believe it!...We won first place for all three of my categories!...Yup, I was so proud of my actors...And hella proud of myself, too...We worked extremely hard to accomplish this goal, and I was really, really demanding of the students...I even made one of my girls storm off the set because I was demanding so much of her...(Don't worry, she came back and her performance was off the hook!)...I was in such bliss for winning these three awards, and I realized my true calling in life...I totally believe that performance is in my bones...And it's my inspiration and love...And this Speech Festival reminded me and reiterated to me my adoration for acting and the theatre...I love this thing called directing and acting and performing...I'm good at it...And nothing brings me more happiness...I don't think I have been this brimming with joy for a long time...I just can't wipe the smile off my face...Tafuna High School didn't get placed first in any of the other categories...Many people are angry with the other English teachers for not doing their jobs...Many people are also pissed that I'm leaving next year...They think Tafuna High School could take first place in the overall award at the Speech Festival if I was staying and directing the performances...Well, I won't say I agree with them...But I will say the thought of staying just for this Speech Festival did flash in my mind...Nah, I don't think I'll be staying...But the glory of winning this Speech Festival crap really made me second guess my choice to leave this island...
The picture above is of my four actors who played in our Humorous Play...Man, I can't say enough about how wonderful these kids were...The play we did was a complex one, requiring all of the actors to have a ton of energy and "always be on"...It's a non-stop, quick, witty play, and these students captured its spirit beautifully...And winningly...We have to perform our plays for the governor on Wednesday...I'm hoping to record it then and post it on YouTube...
Those two cats were actors in my Dual Acting category where a pair of actors perform a short scene...The play, about a married couple who discover their marriage isn't perfect on their anniversary, had some difficult emotional moments...But these two performed the script awesomely...Rani, the girl, gave me the biggest hug after recieving the first place win...She kept saying, "Thank you Neman!"...Aww, tear!...
And the kid in black, Geno, won first place in the Oral Interpretation of Drama...This category requires a single actor to play two characters...His performance was flawless as a angry diner customer and his annoying waitress...The image below is him at his judged performance...


Those three photos above were of the Humorous Play...We did a play about a television that comes to life and literally captures its audience...I think one reason why we won was because, although I've only been here for two years, I really believe I understand Samoan audiences well...I knew we should have a lot of physical humor...So, we added a ton of that...I also knew they love over-the-top dramatics...Nevertheless, we super charged all of our acting...Lastly, Samoans like a lesson at the end of their stories...So, we emphasized the moral more than the original script called for...



There's Rani and Anthony doing their Dual Acting performance...Malo guys!...

During the Speech Festival, I think I was slapped in the head with my calling...When I come back to Wisconsin, I'm going to make it one of my five year goals to start up a State Speech Festival...Now, who knows, maybe there is one already...But I don't remember hearing about one when I was at Eisenhower High School...I really want to bring this event to Wisconsin and let students there compete in categories such as Monologue, Poetry Reading, and Choral Reading...We have tons of competitions for athletes...And even singers (Solo/Ensemble)...But no competitions for actors...Besides, think about how much tickets we could sell for a state-wide festival filled with dramatic, entertaining performances...Gee whiz!...I can't wait to be the founder of the Wisconsin Secondary Speech Festival...Presented by high school English departments all across the state!...An Academy Awards for cheeseheads!...

5. Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup = Probably my most favorite meal that my mom makes is now the best meal I make for myself...It's cheesy, warm goodness, and I can't wait to come home and use yummy, interesting breads and cheese for this classic comfort food...
4. Into the Wild = The book I hold dear to my heart and soul is now a movie directed by Sean Penn...It's on video...Although I strongly recommend the powerful, fascinating book by Jon Krakuer over the flick, it's still a nice adaptation to screen...
3. Jodi Piccoult = Speaking of books, I've only read two of her novels but you can't go wrong with her controversial, modern stories ripped straight from the headlines...They're like a Dateline episode crossed with a Lifetime movie...Nineteen Minutes is about a high school shooting that devastates a small suburb...Great read...
2. Madonna's New Song = "4 Minutes" by Madonna and featuring Justin Timberlake has got to be the most awesome song out right now...If you work out (or dance!), you MUST download this glittering, vigorous, potent pop jam...Oh, and it's a helluva lotta fun to listen to...Madonna is back!...
1. At the Movies with Ebert and Roeper = This website has almost all of the televised film reviews by Siskel and Ebert...And Roeper...Did the movie Gremlins get a thumbs up or down?...Did my favorite flick Terminator 2 get approved by the famous critics?...Which Disney films were thumbs up?...Which Jennifer Lopez films were given thumbs down?...From movies that came out way back in the 80's to movies that came out last week, these catty, intriguing reviews are addictive to watch...Look up your favorite flick...


A category of the Speech Festival I had never encountered before was the Traditional and Contemporary Choral Readings...This is where a group of 15 or more students recite a long poem using their body, facial expressions, and voice variation to portray the emotion and power of that poem...In Traditional, they can only move their face and use vocal expression to present the poem's meaning...In Contemporary, the group, in unison as always, can use their entire bodies...They can even sing and dance some of the poem...These were all pretty amazing to watch...I am thrilled to bring this category to the states...Will kids in Wisconsin dig it?...Or will they be weirded out by it?...I suppose we'll have to see...Here's a clip of the first half of Tafuna High School's Contemporary Choral Reading...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrAumlTzKvo

Since I am planning on going back to school for my Masters in Creative Writing, I figured I'd write a poem tonight about how I've been feeling lately...It describes a fear I have in regards to going home...Can you guess what the fear might be?...(Keep in mind, I literally wrote this tonight...In like an hour...This is a rough, rough draft!)...
Nightmares of ghosts for dinner,
I shiver in my home.
Once laughter, tears, conversation
in my kitchen of warm dreams,
now silence, loneliness, sadness.
A kitchen of ice.
Ghosts will cope,
for now life is not allowed at the table.
The ghosts are cherished,
for now comfort is lost and impossible.
Dread is served.
These ghosts for dinner haunt,
I weap with the rice.
For once it was a nightmare,

Sorry for the somewhat boring post...But I hope you still leave a few comments...What do you think of the Speech Festival?...Am I crazy for getting so giddy over our three wins?...Do you think this is my calling?...Is directing and performing my greatest talent?...Do you think Speech Festival will work with Wisconsin kids?...How about my obsessions?...Do you adore grilled cheese and tomato soup?...Do you know who Jodi Piccoult is?...Do you love Madonna's new song as much as I do?...Oh, and what the hell do you think I'm expressing in my quickly written poem?...What fears am I having right this minute?...Well, let me know what you think...And thanks for reading...

Since I am planning on going back to school for my Masters in Creative Writing, I figured I'd write a poem tonight about how I've been feeling lately...It describes a fear I have in regards to going home...Can you guess what the fear might be?...(Keep in mind, I literally wrote this tonight...In like an hour...This is a rough, rough draft!)..."Ghosts for Dinner"
by Joe Neman
Nightmares of ghosts for dinner
keep me awake, worried.
Once flesh, hands, smiles, eyes
with plates, forks, drinks, food,
now faded phantoms at my table,
clear, gone, invisible.
keep me awake, worried.
Once flesh, hands, smiles, eyes
with plates, forks, drinks, food,
now faded phantoms at my table,
clear, gone, invisible.
Nightmares of ghosts for dinner,
I shiver in my home.
Once laughter, tears, conversation
in my kitchen of warm dreams,
now silence, loneliness, sadness.
A kitchen of ice.
Ghosts will cope,
for now life is not allowed at the table.
The ghosts are cherished,
for now comfort is lost and impossible.
Dread is served.
These ghosts for dinner haunt,
I weap with the rice.
For once it was a nightmare,
and now there will always be
ghosts for dinner.

Sorry for the somewhat boring post...But I hope you still leave a few comments...What do you think of the Speech Festival?...Am I crazy for getting so giddy over our three wins?...Do you think this is my calling?...Is directing and performing my greatest talent?...Do you think Speech Festival will work with Wisconsin kids?...How about my obsessions?...Do you adore grilled cheese and tomato soup?...Do you know who Jodi Piccoult is?...Do you love Madonna's new song as much as I do?...Oh, and what the hell do you think I'm expressing in my quickly written poem?...What fears am I having right this minute?...Well, let me know what you think...And thanks for reading...Love ya and miss ya...
-JOE
"Sadness and happiness,
Love and surprise.
Now we must finally
Say our goodbyes
To the Island of Emotion."
-from Sesame Street.

5 Comments:
sole joe, thanks for sharing your insight in reference to your participation in the speech festival.
being born in the states, and then moving to american samoa for high school in the early 80's, participating in the speech festival over 25 years ago was something that I have never seen since moving back to the states...it is an incredible event that showcases young talent and lets them hone their creative side in ways that only being young can one feel those emotions....its not the same once you become an adult...i think its awesome that your involvement were the ones that shined for THS, that is showing that you are on another level in regards to the other staff @ THS who were also coaching....your passion shined as it was passed on to the students....brings back a lot of memories...i really enjoyed my years in high school there especially during speech festival season....it really did have a lot of hoopla even back then......back in the michael jackson, madonna era....heheheh!
anyways, you are gonna be missed down there...what a sorry bunch of losers the administration at the highschool and DOE are for not getting more passionate teachers like you employed there....they suck, kipi ga'i kua those puki'os...lol!
anyhow, i think that if you were to bring that speech festival back to wisconsin it would really take off....i really think so...you should videotape the offerings from american samoa and show the students in wisconsicn...i am sure that they have the same passion that just hasn't been showcased as of yet....that is your calling....i think that you shine when you're a showing your acting/directing/drama side...remember cinderella?!?!?! hehe
anyhow, tomato soup and grilled cheese was my fave growing up in cold windy san francisco before moving to samoa....the whole 4 years i was in high school there i never had it once....i was destroyed....lol!!! no pasta, no sushi, no italian food, no real good comfort food, just fricken taro....ulu....green boiled bananas....or fa'ausi....ehwwww!
hehehe
well neuman, you are an awesome guy! did you get laid since you won three categories? was there a special adult that you were able to share that joy with? hehehe! just being nosy...lol!
i really liked your poem about dinner with ghosts....kewl!!!
also, i think that black high school students the south, and large inner cities do something similar to all the oral interpretations...at their poetic readings...they really get into it....in LA, San Fran, Seattle, Vegas and Phoenix, and Denver...I've been to some poetry readings and seen some of the Samoan youth take part in the African American art of oral interpretation and many of the blacks in attendance would always go up to the Samoan students and ask them where they got the emotion and passion from during their performances....i think its a cultural thing....various cultures around the world probably have in one way or another have something similar in their society's that they just haven't tapped into since they are busy living the fast paced Westernized lifestyles....what do you think????? Neuman.....gonna miss your blog and what its like teaching in Amerika Samoa......
tofa soifua uso!!
take care and dont be square!!!
ben dover
rotflmao
Hey Joe,
So I don't know exactly how similar Forensics is to the State Speech Festival, but I coached Waukesha South's Forensics team one year and we had to do a lot of similar types of speeches. The kids went to state and everything at Madison with all the other schools in the state. I would definitely look into that when you return and I would go with you and maybe we could be an amazing coaching team!
Oh and about Grilled Cheese and Tomato soup, I never knew how amazing Tomato soup was until about a year ago. And have you ever had bacon on your grilled cheese - so yum!! Using different cheeses and bread does make it quite a delicasy too!
Jodi Piccoult is an amazing writer. I read Plain Truth about an amish girl that gets pregnant but can't remember giving birth so there is tons of drama about who is the daddy and because it being an Amish family, the daughter being pregnant before marriage was uber controversial.
Can't wait for you to come back - definitely have to plan a roadie to Appleton to see the pregger one and Stish. Take care and keep West Nile-ing!
that poem is deep. yet amazing. and i cant quiet pinpoint what your ghosts are. i thought at first maybe we've become your ghosts because you haven't seen us in so long. but now i think it's gotta be your boys. ur afraid of leaving them. and forgetting them and your memories of them.
ok i have only one thing to say in very quickly skimming this entry:
Madge never left!!!
:) miss ya!
Good job-your leadership & excitement are contagious to the kids at Tafuna. What a blessing your time there has been.
I am certain there are speech festivals in Wi...but it also makes me think that you would really enjoy OM at the High School level.
I have not read Jodi Piccoult but I will pack her with me on my trip to Virginia. I just got done w/ A Thousand Splendid Suns...I did not think it was as good as Kite Runner.
Your poem is sad. But since the boys are moving on to college/military/marriage (hee hee) there will be change anyways...
I pray that you will come to the states and feel as inspired. =/
I miss you everyday- and everyday I am so proud of what you are doing over there.
Post a Comment
<< Home