Flex, Boys, Flex!...

Sup, everybody...How y'all doin'?...I'm actually doin' pretty good...Since I have all Seniors, school's done...So, I think a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders...Now all I gotta worry about is finding a job and getting back home...Oh, and helping Sammy and Gene find colleges...But, for the most part, I've really been able to relax this past week and spend time with the boys...It's been excellent...Man, it's gonna be hard to leave them...I've also had time to sit and reflect on my experiences here and focus entirely on myself...Being a teacher is wonderful...The benefits of having winter and summer vacations are boundless...School's out for summer, biznitches!...Anyways, those two pics above were taken at the filming of a commercial...Yup, it's my first commercial I've written and co-directed...You see, a local television network asked if I could assemble a few actors from the high school to perform a Public Service Announcement about the dangers of teen drinking...They told me to write the script...I guess with my past accomplishments (Cinderella, Speech Festival, etc.) they knew I could put together something film-able...I wrote a little two minute skit about a kid who takes a few shots one night to relax and ends up becoming addicted...Alex and Moana were my stars...The director seemed to really like the concept and performance...I am so excited to see it on TV...Oh, wait, I don't have a TV...Well, I'm sure I'll hear all about it from the kids...
This blog entry should be short and random...Let us start...
This blog entry should be short and random...Let us start...

Okay, so I decided to post some "Before and After" pics of Gene and Sammy...Exactly one year ago I took some pictures of the boys...I just took some similar ones, too...And, sole, the pictures really do show a change in them...As weird as this sounds, they've become men...I swear, they look like they're 12 years old in some of those old images...(The ones with the Green Monster house in the background are the "Before" pics)...And now they're ginormous...I suppose I still see those young boys even in the "After" pics...It's just now they're in these gigantic, masculine, manly skins...But I'm sure if we unzipped that skin, those same lil' kids would be hiding somewhere in there...In fact, I bet we could say the same about all of us......By the way, some of you may find these pictures disturbing...You might think I'm some kinda sicko taking pictures of the fuams like this...But, seriously, it is all them...Sammy and Gene are obsessed with their bodies...I don't know if this is true with all teenagers, but these guys love looking at themselves and they live to critique their bodies...They're obviously in love with working out and lifting weights...I bet you they spend about two-three hours everyday in front of a mirror...Flexing and smiling at their reflection...It's all about how they look...I guess you could say all teens are ego-centric and self-conscious and stressed about their body image...Afterall, their bodies are changing as the years go by..Evidence of this is in these pictures...Anywho, these guys force me to snap these pictures...And they analyze and evaluate themselves...Nevertheless, they're interesting to notice...I mean, the changes are astounding...My lil' fuams are gettin' old...Awwww...
Gene AFTER:



Well, my next blog entry will be the third installment of our Bittersweet Island Goodbye Blog Top Five...And I need you guys to vote and give me some ideas for the list...This time I'd like to find the list of the "Top Five Samoan Cultural Traditions Joe Disliked"...(Yeah, I know...the title is long and awkward but there's no other way to say it!)...Over the past two years, what cultural aspects of American Samoa did I have most difficulty with?...Which cultural practices drove me crazy?...What about the Samoan culture made it so hard for me to adjust to?...In other words, what parts of Samoa did I absolutely hate?...(Don't worry...I'll make the next list the stuff I loved about American Samoa...We need a balence, of course)...
Oh, and since my birthday is on Tuesday (I'll be, depressingly, frickin' 27 years old!), I consider my gift from you guys to be a suggestion for our list...Yup, that's kinda a bribe...But I do wanna hear what you guys think...So, peeps...Say "Happy Birthday" to Samoa Joe by voting in our Bittersweet Island Goodbye Blog Top Five...What are the top five Samoan cultural traditions that I disliked?...Thanks for the birthday gift ;-)
Gene BEFORE:


Okay, I need y'all's help...I'm beginning to pack up my stuff and sendin' it back home...I have a ton of stuff I've accumulated over the past two years...I mean, I literally have boxes and boxes of things I'll be sending back to Wisconsin...Plus my baggage that I'll take on the plane...I'm wondering if I should just have a rummage sale and sell most of it...Not only will I save myself the headache of packing and sending boxes (remember, the Post Office is 45 minutes away and I don't have a car), it will also save me money...A box to send is about $10 depending on the weight...Besides, most of the stuff is junk that I can buy again in the States...Although, I am having a real problem deciding on whether or not I should sell my holiday decorations...I got a bunch of holiday home decor from friends and family...And for some odd reason they have a sorta sentimental value to me...They helped make my house a home here in American Samoa...Those cute Easter bunnies my mom sent me made me feel right at home, loved and secure...Those scary Halloween candles Dana sent me made me nostalgic and warm...And those Christmas tree ornaments Kristy sent me made me feel like Christmas was spent with my friends and family even though I was all alone on an island in the South Pacific...I know for a fact I won't be sellin' my Nativity Scene my mom gave me...Y'all know what that thing means to me...But what about the other stuff?...They all bring back memories of this experience...They remind me of this island and the home I created here...But, at the same time, there's so much of it!...I probably have at least two boxes of holiday decorations...Do I really want to spend the time and money on packing, lugging it to the post office, and spending $10-$10 sending it back home?...Afterall, I can always buy new stuff when I come home...Therefore, what do you guys think I should do?...Keep it and send it all back?...Or should I sell it and make some money in a Fuamination Rummage Sale?...Or maybe I can just keep some of it and sell the rest?...Is it totally rude of me to even ask this?...I mean, my friends and family spent time and money to send me those decorations!...And now I'm thinkin' of makin' a quick buck off of 'em?!...Argh!...What should I do?...


It was Teacher Appreciation last week...Samoans really know how to appreciate their teachers...The students bought, prepared, and served all the teachers breakfast and lunch from Monday to Friday...And I won't even mention the plethora of gifts I was given...The States really do need to adopt this celebration of Teacher Appreciation...I mean, an apple or a mug is alright...But breakfast and lunch for a whole week?!...Now that's appreciation...This is just another cultural practice I'd love to try to bring back to Wisconsin...Will I succeed?...I don't know...Americans are hella busy with themselves...I don't think they have the time or money to appreciate teachers like Samoans do...Eh, I'll try my best...

Those two pics above crack me up...They were taken on the last days of school...This is a typical day of Seniors...They're crazy...And anxious to get out of school...That girl with the wild hair is one of my students who is quite a handful...She's hyper and has a quick temper and is always, ALWAYS talking...But I am proud of her...She's truly become more mature since last year...She's still Manilyn...But just a tad bit more respectable...


Okay, I need y'all's help...I'm beginning to pack up my stuff and sendin' it back home...I have a ton of stuff I've accumulated over the past two years...I mean, I literally have boxes and boxes of things I'll be sending back to Wisconsin...Plus my baggage that I'll take on the plane...I'm wondering if I should just have a rummage sale and sell most of it...Not only will I save myself the headache of packing and sending boxes (remember, the Post Office is 45 minutes away and I don't have a car), it will also save me money...A box to send is about $10 depending on the weight...Besides, most of the stuff is junk that I can buy again in the States...Although, I am having a real problem deciding on whether or not I should sell my holiday decorations...I got a bunch of holiday home decor from friends and family...And for some odd reason they have a sorta sentimental value to me...They helped make my house a home here in American Samoa...Those cute Easter bunnies my mom sent me made me feel right at home, loved and secure...Those scary Halloween candles Dana sent me made me nostalgic and warm...And those Christmas tree ornaments Kristy sent me made me feel like Christmas was spent with my friends and family even though I was all alone on an island in the South Pacific...I know for a fact I won't be sellin' my Nativity Scene my mom gave me...Y'all know what that thing means to me...But what about the other stuff?...They all bring back memories of this experience...They remind me of this island and the home I created here...But, at the same time, there's so much of it!...I probably have at least two boxes of holiday decorations...Do I really want to spend the time and money on packing, lugging it to the post office, and spending $10-$10 sending it back home?...Afterall, I can always buy new stuff when I come home...Therefore, what do you guys think I should do?...Keep it and send it all back?...Or should I sell it and make some money in a Fuamination Rummage Sale?...Or maybe I can just keep some of it and sell the rest?...Is it totally rude of me to even ask this?...I mean, my friends and family spent time and money to send me those decorations!...And now I'm thinkin' of makin' a quick buck off of 'em?!...Argh!...What should I do?...Sammy's BEFORE and AFTER:

5. Eddie Cibrian on Ugly Betty = Not only is he and Hilda the hottest, freshest relationship on television, he is also by far the most gorgeous gym teacher in all of high schools...Don't believe me?...Check out the pic from the show...
4. "Always Be My Baby" by David Cook = This guy totally deserves American Idol status just for this song alone...A sorta remix from Mariah Carey's classic, it's the male perspective of the song...Like all great covers, his version makes you look and feel the lyrics in a completely different way...Brilliant...Too bad it's not available on itunes anymore :-(
3. Callie and Erica on Grey's Anatomy = This surprising, budding lesbian romance between Seattle Grace's most powerful women is funny, sweet, honest, and dirty...And I'm lovin' it...Can't wait to see where these gals go next season...Oh, and lets give a hand to the gayest network on TV...ABC, or GayBC, has gay characters on Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, Brothers and Sisters, and Ugly Betty...Go gays!...
2. "Falling in Love at a Coffee Shop" by Landon Pigg = The loveliest song I've heard all year is dreamy and warm...Just like a mug of soothing coffee...The only thing that sucks?...Landon Pigg's other songs aren't that great...But this one, available on itunes, is a Paul Simon-esque beauty...
1. Five Years Later on Desperate Housewives = Now this was a genius idea...Season 5 of this soapy nighttime show will take place five years in the future, giving Wisteria Lane a much needed spark...How juicy will next season be?...Bree as a famous Martha Stewart-like cookbook writer?...Interesting...Lynette with criminal sons?...Hmmm, has potential...Susan with a hot new boyfriend?...Anything's better than stupid, humdrum Mike Delfino!...And Gabriel with two chubby Mexican daughters?...Oh, my goodness gracious!...I'm as giddy as a housewife eating BonBons!...

It was Teacher Appreciation last week...Samoans really know how to appreciate their teachers...The students bought, prepared, and served all the teachers breakfast and lunch from Monday to Friday...And I won't even mention the plethora of gifts I was given...The States really do need to adopt this celebration of Teacher Appreciation...I mean, an apple or a mug is alright...But breakfast and lunch for a whole week?!...Now that's appreciation...This is just another cultural practice I'd love to try to bring back to Wisconsin...Will I succeed?...I don't know...Americans are hella busy with themselves...I don't think they have the time or money to appreciate teachers like Samoans do...Eh, I'll try my best...You're probably wondering what the heck that fafafine is doin' in that snapshot above...Well, we had a Teacher Appreciation dinner and she did a performance for us...She sang and danced to Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance With Somebody"...It was, needless to say, a lively performance...Those silly fafafines...

Those two pics above crack me up...They were taken on the last days of school...This is a typical day of Seniors...They're crazy...And anxious to get out of school...That girl with the wild hair is one of my students who is quite a handful...She's hyper and has a quick temper and is always, ALWAYS talking...But I am proud of her...She's truly become more mature since last year...She's still Manilyn...But just a tad bit more respectable... Alright...I gotta go now...I hope you all have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend...
And don't forget to give me a birthday present...I want some comments!...What should I do with my holiday decorations?...Should I keep and value them forever?...Or should I sell them in a rummage sale?...What do you think of those Before and After pics of Gene and Sammy?...Are you as stunned by them as I am?...How about my top obsessions of the week?...Do you like the Erica and Callie romance?...Is GayBC every gay person's best friend?...Did you dig the five years ahead concept on Desperate Housewives?...Isn't Eddie Cibrian the hottest gym teacher of all time?...Do you think David Cook was the right AI choice?...
Oh, and give me some suggestions for out Bittersweet Island Goodbye Blog Top Five...What Samoan cultural practices annoyed the heck outta me?...
Love ya and miss ya...
-JOE
"That's the second biggest monkey head I've seen on this island!"
-from The Secret of Monkey Island computer game



5 Comments:
From memory I guess you were most disturbed about the culture of silence surrounding abuse, and you were were also annoyed with nepotism that occured.
Also I quess you have many blog readers who dont know you and will be interested in how you fit back into life after am.sam so I for one would enjoy an "epiblogue" as well.
I think one of the hardest things about the culture for you was the laziness of some of the parents, teachers and staff, I mean if you think about it, look what you have accomplished there by yourself in 2years-more than any of them have done for their own kids and school! I see nothing wrong in selling or donating the decorations, instead of paying to ship them home, except for the ones that mean the most to you. I think DH looks good too-can't wait to watch it with you!
Love and miss you!!
as a samoan born and raised in the culture here in kc, mo. abuse is not a cultural thing..its rampant and widespread here in the nidwest as well among white and black families alike. I think it was magnified in samoa because it was not talked about. i do agree however that many samoan parents can be percieved as lazy in conveying info to their children in terms of education, spirituality, motivation, etc. it has to do with them being educated. if the parents don't have much of an education, and don't speak english like many from neighboring samoa do not, then they really can't help their children much...its a 3rd world country and that is why neman was there...to help them.!!!
I would send back all the stuff you got from loved ones as tokens of the time you spent there as they will forever remind you of your growth personally on the island all by yourself...all the big stuff you can sell cheap or donate....neman you are an awesome fella and one hella of a standup guy! wish more people were like you.....malo lava neman!!!
k.c. chiefs in the house....
I really like the david cook song as well. I cant believe you wrote a commercial and didn't even tell me! That's amazingly awesome! Superstar!
I think the hardest thing about samoa for you has been missing everyone at home....
And I say sell the stuff! They're all just 'things' right. The memroies won't go away. Eckhart chapter 2 - "Whatever the ego seeks and gets attaached to are substitues for the Being that it cannot feel. You can value and care for things, but whenever you get attached to them, you will know it's the ego.... sometimes letting things go is an act of far greater poewr then defending or hanging on." yup.. now I'm completey annoying ;) love you! 15 days!
Take what you can and what is really memorable to you. I guaruntee everytime you put that Charlie Brown tree (from Mom) up you will be flooded with warm memories. Kudos on the commercial- how cool is that? I never talked to you- did you do a dance at graduation? did you cry like a baby? The most annoying cultural aspect i think would be the laziness, undependable, over borrowing personality traits you sometimes ran in to. love you
Post a Comment
<< Home