Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Who Are You Wearing...

Hey, everybody...Wow...It's a miracle!...I'm back...Sorry about the long delay...We lost our internet for a few days...But now it's back up and running...And so is Samoa Joe's blog...Well, I really have no idea where this blog entry is gonna go...It's a surprise to me...I do know there'll be one list...Lets begin...

All of the pictures in today's blog entry were taken at the Senior Ball...This is American Samoa's version of a Senior Prom...Everyone looked lovely, and the night went pretty smoothly...One thing that kinda sucked was that I am a Senior advisor, so I was runnin' around all over the place trying to make sure everything was goin' good...But there were no major problems...No drunk teens...Food was plentiful...And the facility (Tafuna High School's gymnasium) was gorgeous...The image at the top is of me and Gene...The FuamMasters...Don't I look sexy in my black and gold?...I designed the suit myself...Yes, it a little bit waiter...And usher...And butler...All rolled into a single wonderful tux...But I still think I looked nice...More on the fashions of the night later...

That's Gene and his girlfriend...Don't even get me started on the grill he's wearing...I did not approve of that...He's so fia gangsta...

Now, a lot of people seem to disagree with me about that girl's dress above...I think it's adorable...It's unique, bright, and perfect for her short stature...But many of the kids were callin' her munchkin after seeing the dress...Poor girl, bless her soul...She's addicted to Bollywood Indian musicals, and I told her the best one is "Lagaan"...Here's a clip from my favorite Bollywood extravaganza...Whatchu think of it?...


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=872LRkujZ3E




Alright, let me discuss these fashions with you guys...If you remember from last year's Junior Prom, all gowns and tuxedos are made on island...In other words, every girl and boy gets to design their own outfit, they then take the material they desire to a sewing shop (usually run by phillipinos), and get their finished outfit in a week or two...It's actually a lot of fun...I wish we could do this in the states...I mean, design your own dresses and tuxedos and get them created exactly how you planned?!...It's like Project Runway!...Without all the work...Anyways, the outfits worn at the Senior Ball were all literally specially created for each individual...I think that's pretty darn cool...It's like we were all red carpet celebrities, and instead of wearing designer threads, we were wearing local sewing shop creations..."Who are you wearing?"..."Oh, this is Marie's Sewing Shop"...My vest and tie and shirt and pants were produced at Island Image...I thought of the concept myself...I saw an episode of Gossip Girl, and this one guy wore a suit with black and gold...With gold only on the back of the vest...I thought it was tight, and stole the idea for my Senior Ball tux...Yeah, it's kinda plain and simple...But that's what I wanted...Afterall, it isn't my prom...(I've been to three of my own!)...Oh, and I also didn't want to spend too much money...

Okay, so here comes today's first edition of "How Many Fafafines?"...In the picture above, how many fafafines are there?...Ten million dollars is at stake!...





Once again, if you remember from last year's Junior Prom, here in American Samoa parents are invited to the student dances...Which makes for a somewhat awkward, boring night...I hate this practice...I think the students should have a night to celebrate amongst themselves...With parents at the prom, it immediately becomes their night...The administration and prom officials inevitably ask, "How can we make the night pleasing to the parents?"..."How can we not step on any toes?"...Nonethelss, the prom becomes a sorta tight rope walk...It's like steppin' on broken glass throughout the night...If I woulda been the head prom advisor I would've completely thrown this concept of parents coming to prom outside the window...But I'm sure Samoan parents would've murdered me before I could even think it...You see, Samoan parents call themselves strict and respected...I just call them "pathetic"...I mean, they can't trust their kids for one measly night?...I know the prom is notoriously known for it's sinful influences...Especially in regards to sex and virginity...Not only do I think this is a total urban legend (do you know anyone who really lost their virginity on prom night?...Or is that just in the movies?), but I also think it's sad that they can't give their kids one night of freedom...I hope I can trust my teenager at least a little bit to let them have fun on one of the most memorable nights of their life...

Oh, my goodness gracious...It's that time again!...Time for the 2nd edition of "How Many Fafafines?"...Take a glance and guess...Who's the guy?...And who's the gal?...

Aww, there's my Latarah...She was my evil step-sister in the Cinderella musical...She was also one of the actors in my Speech Festival Humorous Play which got first place...She recieved Best Actress during the awards ceremony...Yay!...


That's Gene, his sister, and me...I felt horrible the other day...You see, by the end of the day I'm usually pretty exhausted...A day full of teaching teenagers and then coming home to take care of two of them really drains me of energy and patience...Well, when Gene and Sammy come home from work around 11:00, we sit down and talk about their day at work...The two putios ramble on and on about McDonald's drama...Last week I was feeling hella homesick...I mean, I felt really lonely...And I couldn't stop thinking about going home and being with friends and family...There were two nights when Sammy and Gene came home and I was kinda crabby towards them...I just wanted to keep to myself and be cranky...Finally, last Wednesday night, Gene came to me close to tears and said (and I quote), "man, all I do is can't wait to get home and tell you what happened at work and kick it wit' chu and, sole, you're actin' so crabby and shit..."...My heart dropped...There I was thinkin' only of myself and how I want to be with my family and friends...And I didn't even think that Gene and Sammy want to be with me...I felt horrid...Ever since that night I always make time for Gene when he comes home from work...Even if I'm exhausted...And even if I'd rather be with my mom, or Shawn, or Suzy...I try to put all of that aside, and talk with Gene...Afterall, we only have about five more weeks or so...



There's some of the FuamUsos...Gene, Sammy, Toetu, and Fred...Sammy didn't get all pimped out that night for a couple of reasons...First, he has no family here to support him and help him with buying the material and getting him to a sewing shop...Second, he didn't want to spend his own money and his own time to get a nice ofu made...The Gucci shirt, I guess, is his late father's...It's seki...And Sammy could've went naked and he'd still think he was the shiznit...

The two most famous fafafines on the island of Tutuila...Trina and Shiki...They're both teachers at Tafuna High School...In fact, Shiki is the Senior class Head Advisor...She planned and hosted the entire Senior Prom...She's actually a pretty amazing woman...She's professional and even esteemed...As much as I make fun of the whole "How Many Fafafines" situation, you gotta admit it's actually astonishing at the number of transgendered peeps in Samoa...Er, you may find it disturbing, I suppose...I do wonder why there's so many of them...But I do think it's kinda cool that they're still, for the most part, accepted into the community...And they can become teachers...And organize school proms...And go to their Senior Prom...In dresses!...Yet I didn't see any openly gay partners there...So, like America, this island still has to grow in that department...Men dressed as women walking men in the ceremony equals "thumbs up!"...A guy dressed as a man walking another guy in the ceremony equals "thumbs down!"...Eh...You win some, you lose some...

Speaking of of transgendered...It's our 3rd edition of "How Many Fafafines?"...Come on, blog readers!...I wanna hear those guesstimates...I'll send you a gift certificate if you get all three editions of this week's "How Many Fafafines?" correct...(Maybe)...




How these two got Prom King and Queen is baffling to me...They both skip outta my class to smoke in the bathroom everyday...Damn teenagers...Aren't the Prom King and Queen supposed to be responsible, pious lil' students?...These two are walking chimneys ;-)





Alright, every year I have my list of the Top Ten Films of that year...And I finally was able to complete my 2007 list...(Remember: I live on a small island in the South Pacific...Consequently, it took me five months to see the movies I needed to see because I had to wait for video for most of them)...Anyways, it's half way through 2008, but I still had to compile the traditional, annual list...I like making these lists because I enjoy lookin' back and seeing which movies I loved in that year of my life...Anyways, all of these films are on video...So, go out and rent 'em and let me know what you think...
Here's my list...It goes from number ten to my favorite film of the year...
My Ten Best Movies of 2007:
10. Surf’s Up = The only animated film on this year’s list is also one of the most inspirational…A bright, righteous penguin surf story with totally awesome waves…
9. Transformers = Yup, you’ll lose brain cells while watching this action-packed adventure blockbuster…But those damn robots are so fricken’ cool, man…
8. Superbad = A sex-obsessed, raunch-fest, teenage romp starring an extraordinary ladies man…McLovin’!...It’s also a heartwarming tale about love and brotherhood…
7. No Country for Old Men = Okay, so this has the most annoying ending EVER!...But that’s what makes it so memorable…And the intense, horrifying, heart-attack-inducing chase scenes are unforgettable, too…
6. Once = Now this quiet, independent rock love story has one helluva gorgeously emotional soundtrack…An honest, moving film…
5. 3:10 to Yuma = Not only does this thrilling Western have one of the best shoot-outs I have ever witnessed, it also has a violent, thought-provoking plot that will literally keep you on the edge of your saddle…
4. Knocked Up = A hilariously smart and modern flick about relationships and poppin’ out infants…I laughed…I cried…My water broke!...A great, romantic time at the movies…
3. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street = Tim Burton’s musical masterpiece, starring Johnny Depp, is a dark, lovely opera-esque musical about heartbreak and revenge…The actual center of the story is Mrs. Lovett, and her final fifteen minutes are a bloody blast to watch…
2. Juno = A movie that could’ve been a typical sentimental dramedy about giving birth becomes something heartwrenchingly unique with a dramatic turn of events involving a seemingly perfect couple played by Jennifer Gardner and Jason Bateman…Oh, and there’s also some of the funniest, wittiest dialogue I’ve ever seen at the multiplex…
1. Hairspray = By far the most energetic, dazzling, inspired film of the year…And also one of my favorites of all time…The happy lil’ musical actually has a ginormous message…”You’re beautiful, and don’t let anyone tell you differently!”…(And gay boys swoon everywhere!)…If this doesn’t get you dancin’ in the aisles, I don’t know what will…




There's me and Tino...She played Cinderella in my musical...Her dress was stunning...


There's me and Holy...Sammy's younger brother...He's only a sophomore...But he simply had to go to the prom...He's a Sammy-Wanna-Be...He also wanted to see all the "hot Senior chicks!"...Holy jumped the school fence to sneak into the Ball...Such a Prince Charming dis guy...

Oh, and tomorrow I'll be posting another entry with the Top Five Images of Samoa Joe's Blog y'all voted on...I'll calculate the votes and post the pics...And I'll suggest another list, as well...This is your last chance to vote in our "Bittersweet Island Goodbye Blog Top Five"...So far I have some votes for the pictures of me in my lava lava, of me dressed as a lady, and the ones where my family dressed up as old ladies...If you have a suggestion, PLEASE leave it and let me know...Which pictures sum up my American Samoa experience the best?...



There's Sammy and his date to the prom, Rina...It's not his girlfriend...She's "just a girl"...But he did get some action from her that night...Dass mah boy!...Wait to hit it, fuam!...Er, ahem!...I mean, did I say that out loud?...I meant, that was inappropriate...Love making should only be reserved for the ones you love...Go abstinence!...


Okay, that's it for tonight...I'm sorry there's nothing really to discuss here...But leave a comment anyway...What'd you think of the Senior Ball fashions?...Do you dig my suit?...Do I look sexy?...Do you think parents should be invited to the Senior Prom?...How many fafafines were in the three editions of the challenge today?...Isn't it amazing how many fafafines owned the Ball?...Do teenagers really lose their virginity on Prom night?...Did you?...Is how I ignored Gene evil?...Am I going to hell for that?...Although I'm awfully homesick, how should I spend my final weeks here?...What kind of attitude should I have?...What were your favorite movies of 2007?...What'd you think of my list of the Top Ten Movies of 2007?...Give me some alofas...I'm kinda sorta needin' it!...
Love ya and miss ya!...
-JOE
"In a sense, each of us is an island. In another sense, however, we are all one. For though islands appear separate, and may even be situated at great distances from one another, they are only extrusions of the same planet, Earth."
-J. Donald Walters

3 Comments:

Blogger Suzie A said...

i love my viriginity at prom....... i kid i kid... and yeah, i dont think a lot of people do. but i do think that the 'non abstanant' folk definitely like to sex it up that night. which can make for a lot of teenage pregnancys to those fools who dont take the necessary precautions....
i liked sammys shirt. before i read your blog, i had looked at your pictures i liked it a lot....however i dont think i approve of you letting that kid get away with being so pompus.. but whatcha gonna do.... i dont like that the parents go to their prom..... but again, its not so bad... and maybe it is good as american proms have gotten so r rated...... and prom king and queen are never the honorable ones! come-on! its all a popularity contest! usually based on looks, sense of humor, and kindness... hail to queen erin ;)

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha funny about Sammy's shirt too...before i read your blog i liked his outfit the best. i was gonna lkeave him a myspace message telling him he looked hot but then i thought that might be inappropriate. yeah, gene's grill has got to go and cinderella looked beautiful. too many fafafine's to count. my favorite/ most memorable pics are of the rainbow shining on the church w/ the sailboat & your diet coke can and the pacific ocean shot...of course i love all the pics of the kids but those were two that stuck out to me ;)

love you- enjoy your last 5 weeks- give all you can to the fuams as when you come home it will be all about Joe.

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing the photos; wow! how times have changed...when I had my jr prom, it was at a night club in near taputimu...everyone was dressed like prince, etc from purple rain...and only chaparones were there, ie. teachers and a few parents..etc...it was all about us kids...in my sr. year, our ball was at ASCC...and again, it was phat..we had poplocking, breakdancing contests while we were our tuxes ordered stateside, etc...again, we didn't have our parents there...looks like times have changed and things have gone backwards...we didn't even try to dress like pimps, etc..or gangsta...but again this was in 82 and 83 so maybe I'm just an old fart...but it was fun nonetheless....i am really glad u shared all the photos and stories about your school and what you guys did...wow, lots of fafafines...oh my gawd!! decor looks nice, but the floor looks decrepit...lol!

i remember the pic from the tradewinds when you took the boys there and had a couple ofnights of letting them hang out witcha...you are awesome neman!!! good guy! hope u find a good guy like yourself to be with when you return...

i like what you said about designing their own outfits...that would have been awesome...but we didn't have all the filipino sewing shops that are there now.....

i think u are fine to be crabby when you feel like it, but like a good role model who shows compassion, love and affection, you wanted to be there for gene....again, you rock neman! malo lava! soon u will get to be back home and have your loved ones there for you.... ;)

dude, you should watch

www.ovguide.com - for movies online......instead of waiting for the ones you want....

ta ta for now....

internet fan #2008

3:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

http://sconi-suzie.blogspot.com/